The PhD and – especially – postdoc phase are central career phases in which researchers acquire important scientific skills and make decisions about their next career step. The DZNE aims to offer its doctoral researchers and postdocs the best possible support during this essential phase of their careers – and thereby help them become outstanding researchers with national and international visibility.
The establishment of the DZNE Career Center is supported by an initiative of the Helmholtz Association's Initiative and Networking Fund.
In the area of career development, which is important for junior researchers, the DZNE Career Center provides information and support and serves as a point of contact for all career-related questions.
For example, its programs include an extensive range of workshops designed to prepare the DZNE's early career researchers in the best possible way for their next career step. In addition to information offers for all doctoral researchers and postdocs with a DZNE employment contract, the extensive workshop offer can be used by DZNE postdocs as well as doctoral researchers in at least the 3rd year of their doctoral program.
The workshop offerings include topics relative to the development of core competencies for scientific careers as well as to career planning.
In the following, we would like to introduce you to some examples of the services offered by the DZNE Career Center.
The DZNE Career Center offer for competence development covers a wide range of topic in different formats:
- Workshops: e.g. on grant writing, leadership, agile project management
- E-Learnings: on topics such as negotiation with confidence, project management, digital networking, etc.
- Supporting the initiative of doctoral researchers and postdocs, e.g. in organizing panel discussions or networking events
Career planning and development
Information about academic and non-academic career paths
- Regular newsletters about current workshops, events and career-related news for doctoral researchers and postdoc at the DZNE
- Career talks: presentation of selected career paths and opportunity for direct interaction with individuals working in various academic and non-academic fields.
- Career path explorer: Online information platform providing an overview of career opportunities within and outside of academia; including career stories and interviews of DZNE staff and alumni
Cooperation with other Helmholtz Centers and DZGs
Other support offers
- Technology transfer: Supports scientists at the DZNE, including doctoral researchers and postdocs, regarding questions about inventions, patent protection, technology transfer strategies and cooperation with external partners.
- Grant Office: Provides support regarding questions about national and international funding and application procedures, as well as advising regarding specific funding options for research projects.
- Library and Information Service (LIS): Provides a wide range of resources, including eBooks; articles and eLearning units relative to publication topics; databases; and information management.
- Training & continuing education programs
- Support for a good work life balance
- Occupational health management
- Gender equality
- Career opportunities for early career researchers
- Apprenticeship at the DZNE
- Your application
- Your questions