Over its first five years the DZNE will establish its scientific and legal organisation and at the same time reach a top internationally competitive standard.
Our strategic aims include:
- to establish a functioning network between the different DZNE sites to create the added value that should characterize a national research institute,
- to select research themes, which will rapidly enable translation and most likely deliver significant health outcomes,
- to create an internationally competitive research institute with an environment that fosters the growth and development of young scientists,
- to develop an administrative infrastructure which enables research to flourish unhindered,
- to establish international collaborations with leading research organizations.
- Unveiling mechanisms of disease and developing new experimental disease models.
- Study the balance between neuronal damage and repair.
- Identify new risk factors for neurodegeneration.
- Study the role of common risk factors including ageing, diabetes, and depression.
- Identify clinically relevant biomarkers.
- Place susceptibility genes in meaningful biochemical pathways.
- Develop new strategies to improve patient care and information of families and care givers.